The community of Paradise is a fantastic place to be! So much so that it is Atlantic Canada's fastest growing community. For many years the Avalon East Presbytery of the PAONL had prayed about, wrestled with, and planned for a church plant in Paradise. In 2005 Spruce Hills Community Church (SHCC) began as an outreach of Elim Tabernacle in St. John's. Around the same time, concrete plans for a church plant were being implemented as God was also birthing a passion in the hearts of Pastor Jeff and Debbie Callahan to launch a community church in Paradise that would connect people of various denominations (or no denomination at all) to Jesus Christ. From a small group that started with four people in early January of 2006, it grew to a large group of around forty by the fall of that year (Yes they all squeezed into one house - and broke a couch in the process, but we won't go there). On October 29, 2006, Spruce Hills had its first Sunday morning worship gathering at Paradise Elementary School. From that point on the congregation packed up and moved to various facilities for worship gatherings which included another school gym and two different community centres. In the summer of 2008, Spruce Hills purchased 1496 Topsail Road. This facility was formerly used as a drug store (now the sanctuary), two doctors clinics (now used for KidzNet, kitchen and finance office), and a physiotherapy clinic upstairs (now used for staff offices, youth room, small group loft, and our mid-week prayer gatherings). In October 2009, Pastor Jeff submitted his resignation as pastor with his final Sunday on January 24, 2010. Pastors Dean Brenton and Steve King filled in as interim pastors from February to July 2010. On July 21st, Pastor Jamie Roberts was officially appointed as the new lead pastor with duties beginning on August 2. Pastor Jamie and Natasha served the congregation at Spruce until June 2013. Pastor Matt, Kayla, Kendrick and Kerri-Ella Joy joined us on August 11, 2013, and have been ministering at Spruce to present. On October 18, 2015, we embarked on a new adventure with the launch of a second campus in Manuels, NL. The story is really just beginning. We look forward to further impacting our community and province for Jesus Christ. He has blessed us greatly and we can't wait to see what He has in store for the future!
Spruce Hills exists to connect people to a meaningful relationship with Christ! The way we do that is:
- Engage our culture and community with the story of Christ.
- Equip people to know Christ authentically through intentional discipleship.
- Encounter God through corporate and private worship.
- Enable people to discover their ministry gifts to serve the needs around them.
- Enrich lives through significant relationships.
Even deeper you ask...
Encounter through Passionate Worship: Both in our Sunday morning Worship Gathering, and in our daily lives. We believe that worship is not something that just happens on Sundays, but it is something we live out through our lives!
Engage - Connecting to our Community: No, if you are single, we do not promise that you will find that perfect one. What we mean by this is that we have a desire not to be a religious sect that removes itself from the world. We desire to take the passion and compassion of Christ into our community. We intentionally work together on events that will be of benefit to the people of our community. As well, we challenge everyone to do the same in their daily lives.
Enrich through Relationships: In our culture relationships are an essential! In a recent survey over 70% of Young Adults recognized that relationships were their number one need, or concern. Expect to meet a group of people who thrive in caring and building each other. We stress the need for a Personal Relationship with God, but as well Significant Relationships with each other!
Equip through Understanding and Growth: So Christ is this amazing man of Passion, Mercy, Selflessness, and Sacrifice. Yet most people in North America recognize Ned Flanders from “The Simpson’s” as a good example of a Christian…boring and staunch. The more we understand what Christ stood for and valued, the more we can impact this world. We feel it is important for Christians to be real and authentic. In order to live this we must have a strong understanding of Christ and his teachings.
Enable you to use Use Your Talents: We are all gifted, you might not admit it or recognize it, but when God created you he created you with a set of “Giftings” or “Talents”. There are so many people in need that are all around our community. We believe that we are all challenged to meet the needs of those around us. We use what we can to care for these needs. We minister inside the church and in the community!
- the Bible is the inspired and only infallible and authoritative Word of God.
- there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, His sinless life, His miracles, His vicarious and atoning death, His bodily resurrection, His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and His personal future return to this earth in power and glory to rule a thousand years.
- in the Blessed Hope, the Rapture of the Church, at Christ’s coming.
- the only means of being cleansed from sin is through repentance and faith in the precious blood of Christ.
- regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential for personal salvation.
- in water baptism by immersion for believers according to Matthew 28:19. in the observance of the Lord’s Supper
- in remembrance of the death of our Lord as outlined in 1 Corinthians 11:23-32.
- the redemptive work of Christ on the Cross provides healing of the human body in answer to believing prayer.
- the baptism of the Holy Spirit, according to Acts 2:4, is given to believers who ask for it.
- in the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a holy life.
- in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost, the one to everlasting life and the other to everlasting judgment.